20150709

Anti-social media

I was born in the late 70s, which means I've borne witness to some amazing and drastic changes in the world, both socially and technologically. I don't always realize how fast it all changed, but it is honestly more than I can handle at times, and I've worked in IT (both on the tech side and dev side) for years now. 

I think the part I struggle with the most is the social media side. My psyche doesn't mesh well with how most people my age use it, and it frankly wears on me. Moreso on Facebook than on Twitter, actually. Twitter just seems to carry less baggage. And it seems like a narrower 'type' in terms of who uses it.

But I digress ...

Facebook, lately, seems like hundreds of preachers lined up on the street shouting at each other about politics masquerading as religion masquerading as philosophy and science. It's horrid. Even the people I agree with come off as assholes. I've filtered and filtered, and directly expressed that Facebook is the last place that I want to have a meaningful discussion, and not that I expected anything to change, but it's becoming a less and less attractive way to spend my free time.

In a lot of ways, social media, I believe, has cut into free time that none of us actually had. It's not relaxing. It's not work. It's not really social (by which I mean that most people seem to use it to shout their beliefs and bully/shame others that don't share them. There's no dialogue.) it's this other ... thing. I haven't thought about it enough to decide if it's useful or not, but it's something that I need to reshape, for myself. My approach is flawed, and part of me wonders if it's a generational thing. 

Anyway, I vastly prefer Twitter, but, and this is going to mark me as 'old man,' for sure, but Twitter moves too fast. I feel like I can't keep up. Ha. I know. I probably just need to cut my follows waaay down.

OK. Just thinking out loud. What say you?

No comments:

Post a Comment