20150709

My console is better than your console

Many moons ago, I bowed out of the console fanboy thing, and moved over to PC. I don't know if I just wasn't enough of an elitist prick, and needed to cement that standing among my peers, or if I just graduated, in all imaginable aspects, to be good enough for PC gaming. I dunno.

Either way, I currently own several gaming PCs and an Xbox One. The kids have a WiiU. I also have a 360 that sees occasional use, and an OG PS3 that I might someday use again, but probably not, despite it being one of those original models that will play PS1, PS2, and PS3. But, I digress.

Whenever I observe NPD numbers or genocidal shouting matches in the comments sections of GameSpot articles, I've recently started to wonder if there is any kind of marked difference between Xbox and PlayStation owners, and if this difference is one that could be demonstrated over a period lasting longer than one console generation.

In my own limited field analysis, I can tell you that nearly all my peers in the development world own both a gaming PC and an Xbox One, if they own any console at all. In fact, I've never even seen a PS4 in action in person, which strikes me as utterly mad, but somehow, it's just never happened.

As a side note, I will be getting a PS4 for Uncharted 4 and Horizon, but I feel it's had no compelling exclusives (none that compel me, anyway).

And I'm primarily a PC gamer, so the only XB1 games I play are Forza, and I did try to get into Destiny, but it didn't really work out (though the kids go nuts for it.)

Among my muggle friends, the console thing seems random. Some own both, some own one or the other, and yet others still have the Wii somewhere in their house, but can't quite remember where. Oh, and the hipster fucks that proudly proclaim that they won't buy a new console, since these are still new enough (2004.)

Anyway, I'm wondering if there is any discernible trait that separates the types of gamers that only play one modern console. Other than poverty. What say you?

No comments:

Post a Comment