20160624

20 Years of Quake and You (and your games!)

This will be a quick one, but I wanted to share a few things about the original Quake.

I knew it was an important game in terms of the shooter genre, but the more I played and thought about it, the more I came to realize that all modern games owe something to Quake. 3D level design, which is found in most modern games now, basically got its core tenets established in this game.

So, real quick, here are some great write-ups on Quake's 20 Anniversary:

PCGamer

GameSpot (Romero, actually)

Those feature a lot of good quotes and reflections on the legacy of Quake. I also had a really fun time playing the PC original (heavily modded) last night, which you can check out below. Yeah, it's sorta self-promotion, but for real, it's a real fun watch, especially once I start to really dig into the game.


One of the coolest things I came across was a pic in the above PCGamer piece that shows the family tree of QuakeC, and all the games that are descended from it. It is absolutely staggering.

Anyway, check all that out and enjoy. I'll probably stream some random shit this weekend. I'll send notifications out on my Twitter if you wanna hang out and shoot the shit in chat.

UPDATED:
I had to add this great RPS article about a VR adaptation. A buddy brought this up in the above video. Too funny.

Have a great weekend!

-Blaine

No comments:

Post a Comment