20160625

Oh, yeah, Dishonored is great

Something I've failed to mention on here lately.

During E3 week, I finally succumbed to intense pressure from a couple friends to finally give Dishonored another chance. I'd played a bit of it when it first came out, and maybe again, a year later, but hated the way it looked, and wasn't overly impressed with the opening.



The more I thought about it, though, the more I realized I hadn't really given the game my full attention when I'd been playing it, and it really is a game that requires a fair amount of focus and thought while playing it.

So, I played a lot of it after the floor show at E3 closed, while I watched the Giant Bomb and Easy Allies late night streams, and actually fell in love with it.

Especially in a time in which every game now has gone 'open world' and 'free roaming,' Dishonored' very structured, very focused 'go to this environment and do A, but you can also stop and do B and C if you want, as well' approach is much appreciated. Additionally, the fact that the player can approach each of these situations in a number of ways is very cool. My approach to most things in life, is 'blunt instrument,' which was not going over too well in this game, given my shit FPS skills, so I quickly started using the 'Blink' ability a lot (stealth teleport), and started having greater success, and a hell of a lot more fun.

I started out the game yelling at NPCs for making me kill them because they saw me and attacked, to frolicking the rooftops over a bourgeois party, quietly slipping in, neutralizing a target, and slipping back out, never raising an alarm. I love this game.

In fact, here's this past night's stream of my latest mission in the game.


So, yeah, if you've not played Dishonored yet, I highly recommend it. I'm more of an RPG guy than a shooter guy, and this straddled the two worlds perfectly for me. It really let me play the game the way I wanted to. I think I'm close to the end, so I'll be sure to wrap up my final thoughts about it. And I cannot wait to play Dishonored 2 later this year!

-Blaine

No comments:

Post a Comment