20160629

Travel & Tech

We're traveling this weekend. We're going to visit my in-laws in northern Illinois (east of the middle of nowhere), and they FINALLY have real internet. I've known my wife for 15 years, and in all that time, they've either had dial-up, or they (and I'm not shitting you) bounced a satellite signal off a grain silo.

Now, though, they finally have true broadband, and it's actually even faster than what we have.

So, that's nice.

Before that, I'd actually set my phone up somewhere on a window sill, wherever I could get more than two bars of LTE, or 4G, if I had to settle for that, then wirelessly tether the ROG (my awesome Asus Republic of Gamers laptop) to it, if I had to work or game. Or use a tablet. Or do much of anything.



So, that's actually a huge alleviation. I used to run up monster data usage there, and now, I won't.

If we can just get them to get rid of the well water, pig shit smell, and get air conditioning, we'll be all set.

They're awesome people, though, and I always end up having a good (if a bit austere) time.

One thing I'm constantly turning over in my head is how to get a better in-car PC gaming experience. My ROG is a 17-inch screen, which is, right off the bat, a bit too big for in-car gaming. Plus, there's the question of the mouse, and ... it just doesn't really work. I still have my Vita, 3DS, and iPad, though. It would be nice to get something PC gaming going, though. I've thought about just setting up the ROG in the hatch, tethering it to a phone, then connecting my wife's Surface to the network, then getting the Steam streaming going. That might actually work.

Yeah, I know, I'm crazy, but I love thinking about shit like this.

And it's only a four-and-a-half hour drive, but it's been fun, over the years, tinkering and improving the overall car travel experience.

Besides, I'd much rather drive somewhere than fly, if time allows for it. I get to control a lot more of the experience, and it's got more of the feel of a journey than flying does. Besides, whenever I fly, I feel like I'm surrendering my rights and willingly becoming a prisoner. It's usually not a bad experience, but it's rarely a good one, either. Driving, for me, feels like freedom.

Now that I have two kids, it's actually become an imperative that I improve the in-car experience, too.



One evolution that's been really interesting to be a part of, in this regard, is cellular phones. When she and I first met, I had the Matrix phone (the one that Neo gets from Morpheus via delivery in the first Matrix film; I loved it when I first saw it, then bought one several months later.) I think you could, technically, tether a computer to it. But looking at websites on it was awful, and it really was, basically, just a phone.



Now, I use my phone as a camera, a book reader, a web browser, a music player, and if I wanted to subject myself to it, I could play bad F2P games on it. Ooh, and like every other modern device, it can stream NetFlix.

Anyway, in terms of in-car entertainment, phones have brought that notion waaay forward. Now, we constantly have one of the phones broadcasting a wifi signal, and the wife and kids join it as needed, while I stream my music to the car's head unit, while I drive. Good times.

Anyway, I gotta get back to the grind.

Oh, real quick, and I'm gonna post more on this some other time, but, though I love the film, The Matrix does not hold up well now. I watched it last night. Anyway, gotta run!

-Blaine

No comments:

Post a Comment