20160623

Time is a Hunter, Stalking Us (or however that Star Trek quote goes)

Yeah, so last post, I said all this awesome shit about me getting back to modding and whatnot. Yeah, that's stalled a little. Let me explain, though.

First things first, I did make a little progress. I eliminated the Ark Dev Kit because it's so fucking big. The game itself is ~40GB, and the UE4 kit + Ark assets is ~80GB, so I said 'fuck that.' I game and dev mostly on my ROG laptop, which is a beast, but isn't the fattest in terms of its secondary disk. On top of that, every time I've tried to play Ark, I've materialized naked in a dark swamp, and then been eaten by a level 113 scaled chicken. After like four times, I said 'fuck it,' and went back to a slow-paced RPG.

I don't like modding games that I don't know inside and out.

And, time, man. It's tough. I get up @ 530AM, get to work ~630, leave around 1530, pick up the heir apparent at camp, go home, and then on Mon, Wed, Fri, I head to my workout shortly after that, get home around 1900, eat, talk at the kids a bit, then crash around 2030. Tues and Thurs nights, the trophy wife has class, so I'm feeding and entertaining the boys, who go down around 1930-2030, at which point, I crash out. The weekends are my days for getting shit done and gaming, so it's gonna have to cut into that.

I think I need to change my mindset, though, and stop thinking about this as 'work.' When I wrote my first novel, I was excited every time I sat down to bust out a page a day. It felt like playing. I need to get back to that.

Time and money are a real motherfucker.

Still, there's gotta be a way that I can sneak in an hour or so every day. The thing is, if I can get sorta handy with just one toolset, then use those skills every day, I'll be solid.

OK, back to work.

-Blaine

No comments:

Post a Comment