20170220

Monday Morrowind Memories

That's a clever title. I actually do have a lot to say about Morrowind. And Mass Effect. And Torment: Tides of Numenera. And Horizon: Zero Dawn. And more.

Torment/Horizon Day
First, we're only eight days out from Torment and Horizon. Holy shit. I think I'm going to start the night before with Horizon, as it unlocks at 2300, and I'm certain that Torment will have some issues updating the existing installs to the full game. It's an indie studio, it's Steam, and I want the game more than I do nearly anything else ever, so it's going to have problems. I'm going to just stave off my technical frustration and emotional meltdown, and just play Horizon the night before.

Then, when I wake up (I'm taking the day off work), I'll poke at Torment and see what's what.

Maybe I'll trade off every couple hours. We'll see. I'll probably just play the shit outta Torment.

On Morrowind
I have a weird-ass relationship with Morrowind. As you know, I've never finished an Elder Scrolls game. Hell aside from Morrowind and ESO, I've barely played them. As I've discussed before, they look perfect for me on paper, but I just have a hard time with the execution. I'm a lifelong RPG player, but have historically struggled when it comes to Elder Scrolls.

So, yesterday, I fired up the game for a while, and decided to just park it in Vivec and see how long I could quest while never leaving Vivec. Several hours later, I'd never left Vivec.

And I was having a good time ... for the most part. While VERY slowly walking around, sometimes place to place, sometimes to the boat and then to the place, it occurred to me that what chafes me about Morrowind is the lack of convenience. In some ways, it is very, very sim, and in others, it is not. The fast-travel (silt strider, boat, mage teleport) is instant and fast. The walking is NOT. Navigation is difficult, as well. Most vendors only buy certain items, and do not have infinite cash with which they can buy your 6500-coin glass staff thingy. I really do appreciate these things, but fuck, it can really grate on me.

Yes, yes, I know, I'm what's wrong with the modern gaming enthusiast, everything needs to be easy, games are horrible now that they're playable and accessible, and oh my god, it's sooo disappointing that the dude in Dark Souls doesn't leap out of the TV and actually kill the player when he dies and blah blah blah. Yeah, motherfucker, I played through the original NES Ninja Gaiden trilogy, so kiss my ass, and let me enjoy the fact that I don't need reaction times like Neo in the Matrix anymore in order to enjoy a fun interactive story. And go get a fucking life.

Anyway, I've started to allow myself to cheat a little, and I may have already talked about this. I'm using a handful of console commands to do things like give myself torches, potions of levitation, etc. I gave myself a grandmaster lockpick so that I could join the Morag Tong while I was in Vivec.

I've thus far restrained my need to start teleporting myself around via console commands, but I'll be surprised if I make it the whole game without doing that. It's just that it takes so fucking long to move from one point to another. I guess the world was a slower place in 2002. Not sure.

Here's some video reviews of Horizon because you hate typed words now








The Road to Andromeda
I spent more time with my monster Mass Effect trilogy playthrough, which you can view here. Please do give it a look, and let me know what you think. I want to do more of these, and would love to have some feedback for my next game series playthrough.

So, there's all that, so far. I'm gonna go watch some of this, as well as some other lunch time fun. I'll be back tomorrow to freak out some more about how close Torment and Horizon are. Keep it real, friends.

-Blaine

No comments:

Post a Comment