20160802

ENGAGE!



I'm heading to Vegas in a few hours to attend the Star Trek 50th Anniversary convention. I'm so pumped. I'm also stressing a bit at work over something I forgot to do last week. Shit.

Regardless, it's going to be an awesome vacation, and I'm so excited to take my oldest son and let him experience this. He's become a big fan over the years.

He and I, for a few years now, have been watching the shows and films in chronological order, starting with 'Broken Bow.' We're now at the point where we are roughly alternating Deep Space Nine and Voyager, with the occasional The Next Generation film popping up. We're at DS9s4/VOYs2 now. I'm not sure how many years we've been at it, but we've probably got a couple more to go.

No, we do not consider the Kelvin Timeline that effectively deleted most of the canon.

No, I do not care what Roddenberry may or may not have considered canon. For me, the Roddenberry/Bennett/Berman shows and films are canon, even if there is some contradiction in there.

Anyway, I'm super-excited and super-busy, but I wanted to share my excitement here briefly.

This is the convention I will be attending.

I also plan to post and maybe even livestream a bit while I'm there. I've never been to one of these, and may not ever go to one again, so I want to document at least some of it.

Also, I REALLY hope they talk/show more about Star Trek: Discovery. I'm so hyped for that show! Everything they're saying sounds right, with an emphasis on exploration and the core tenets of Star Trek, as opposed to the generic summer action films of the Kelvin Timeline.

And don't get me wrong, I found those films to be fun, mindless action flicks, but they're 'Star Trek' only in their branding.



If the above video isn't showing for you, check it out here. I loved that the Onion riffed on people like me. And, granted, Star Trek, overall, doesn't really lend itself to big, expensive films.

Anyway, I'm super-excited for Discovery, and it would just make the trip that much more amazing if we got to see/hear more about it.



So, I'm heading out shortly, but like I said, I wanna share my amazing experience, so I'll be checking in over the next few days.

And, if I get time, I wouldn't mind checking out some of the real-life sports from Fallout: New Vegas. I probably won't have time on this trip, but that would be fun ...

-Blaine


No comments:

Post a Comment